It was around this time that school dresses were phased out in favour of the kilts we have today in two shades of  blue. This was demolished and made way for a new Art Block in 1963. This was followed by a few words from the Queen - her first unscripted speech! Originally a grammar school for around 700 girls, the school has expanded significantly and there are now over 1100 girls on roll. On 17 November 1957 the school was visited by Queen Elizabeth II. The end of the year was marked by a teachers dress up day, sporting clothes from the last 125 years and a 125 Summer Ball. Old Ganians. There was no name change. Copthall Stadium became the venue for the school's annual sports day. This was also the time of our first OFSTED inspection in 1997. With number in the school continuing to rise more space was again needed. Previous Media Arts evenings contained a variety of performances including: local primary school choirs, dancers (including those who have entered the annual 'Rock Challenge' competition), recitals, animations produced by students, 6th form media work and a variety of other Media and Arts based items. She appointed the school's first full-time PE teachers, introduced compulsory gym and built tennis and netball courts. One of the first things the new headmistress Miss Anne Shinwell had to manage was the rebuilding of the school hall. High Street Dorset. Queen Elizabeth's became a comprehensive school in this year and more changes followed. On 1 August 2011 QEGS became a converter academy. Following a period of considerable distruption, rebuilding work took place. EN5 5RR, T: 020 8449 2984 In November 2015 A Level students from the school worked in collaboration the London’s famous Donmar Warehouse Theatre. Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School is a very successful 11 - 18 girls’ comprehensive school and converter academy. Former Pupils. It incorporated new classrooms, a domestic science room, library, staff room, cloakrooms, caretakers quarters, dining room and kitchen. This included such subjects as design and technology, child care and computer science. Many of the principles are still seen in school today in the form of enrichment days and ‘The Apprentice Challenge’. The school, established in 1983, but with a timeline to 1589, is an amalgamation of the previous Gainsborough High School and Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School. Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School was founded in 1888. How many children … Her time also saw the introduction of Heads of Year to support the growing student numbers. During her tenure the school grew in popularity and reputation with music, art, drama and sport flourishing. The Q.E. The girls filed up the High Street in pairs to attend and this became an annual event until 1985. Our History Tudor Rose 1888 Herts Since our foundation in 1888, we have a proud tradition of encouraging our pupils to aim high in all aspects of school life and beyond. Along with the new millennium this year saw the appointment of a new headteacher, Mrs Kate Webster, who continued to hold with the school's ethos for excellence and high standards as well as taking advantage of opportunities for the school. Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School opened on 20 September 1888, with 40 pupils aged from five to eighteen. In 1894 the school was threatened with closure due to decreasing numbers and financial problems. [2] It is the top performing non-selective all-girls comprehensive in the country and is placed 47th on the national league table. Disaster stuck when the school hall, built in 1938, burnt down as a result of an arson attack. The annual Sports Day is held at Barnet Copthall, usually in June/July. The retirement of Miss Payne saw the appointment of Miss Elizabeth Goldby as headmistress. Pupils are encouraged to aim high, work hard and be resilient on the journey to success. Miss Abbott retired in 1920 and pupil numbers had risen to 420 girls who were accommodated in a space intended for 250. Welcome to Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School. Pupils enjoy learning in lessons and beyond the classroom through a wide range of extra-curricular activities. Mrs Muriel Brewer-Blakely became headmistress and during her time at the school there were several changes namely; stopping the Commemoration Day service at the church as they could no longer accommodate the student numbers, the curriculum change from O Levels to GCSEs, the introduction of Work Experience. In January 1921 Miss Gertrude Clemment became headmistress bringing with her a greater emphasis on physical education (PE). Our passionate Sixth Form students discuss their subject choices as part of our virtual Sixth Form open evening. Miss Marjorie Payne became headmistress in 1961 having the formidable task of following the well-respected Miss Balaam. This was adressed by the opening of a new kitchen and dining room on an acquired piece of land adjacent to the Meadway. The first part of the autumn term was spent preparing the school buildings for blackout, fortifying the corridors and basement and sandbagging doors and windows. It occupied Russell House as pictured, which was on the site of the present High Street buildings. To accommodate the expanded population the school was rebuilt adding the building we see today on the High Street. Queen Elizabeth's School Blandford Road. Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School Barnet During the 1930s the school introduced the School Council which was a very radical innovation to give students a voice long before the idea became fashionable. The school also participates in sports outreach work with local feeder primary schools. As well as replacing the kitchen and dining rooms the new facilities included science labs, art rooms and technology rooms. QE has three tennis courts, three fields, a gym (equipped with climbing apparatus), a fitness gym, a swimming pool and a sports hall. Two assistant mistresses namely Miss B A King and Miss Winifred Abbot (as seen above) saved the school as a private undertaking. Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School is a high performing non-selective girls' school with academy status for ages 11 to 18, in Barnet, London, England. Her 17 years at Queen Elizabeth's can be summed up as a period of change, reorganisation and building works. Students from the school stage theatrical productions several times a year in one of their three acting spaces, which include the hall, a traditional proscenium arch stage, and the "drama studio", a black box acting space. F: 020 8441 2322 The calm, caring and purposeful learning environment is commented on by all of our visitors and this helps our students to achieve beyond expectations and to be challenged to improve on their personal best. On 17 May 2013 the school celebrated its 125th anniversary which was marked by a number of events including the painting of a mural in the main courtyard. The County Council funded the rebuilding of the school which was completed in 1909. Barnet schools started to become comprehensive in 1971 under a scheme known as Plan C. QEGS became comprehensive year by year from 1977. Miss Abbott took sole charge of the school in 1898 and took the school back to Public School status in 1903. The annual Media Arts Evening is a chance for students and teachers from the school, as well as those who have worked with the school, to showcase their work. This included raising £50,000 to support the school's first specialism in Media Arts followed by a second specialism in Mathematics and Computing. Classes were held in the hall, in corridors and in temporary classrooms in the form of army huts built in 1919 which continued to be used for over twenty years. Fun was also had by students and parents alike at our 125 Summer Picnic. The day following the official opening of the school hall and building, Saturday 5 November, saw the school's first thanksgiving service in Barnet Church. This was also the year in which the Old Girls' Guild was established and continues to flourish today. The school was the first girls' school to open in Hertfordshire, being administered by the South Herts Division of Hertfordshire County Council until 1965. A love of learning is our priority and the pastoral system supports girls in their academic and personal development. It is praised by the 2017 Good Schools Guide, as a "relaxed, safe and friendly place, with “a firm hand on the tiller and rocketing results.”[3]. A large emphasis was also put on enlarging the number of subjects available in the Sixth Form due to the increased competition from other post 16 schools and colleges. Also another block containing lecture rooms and the Freeda Balaam Memorial Library was opened in this year. Our 125th Anniversary year, which saw our girls, after a nineteen year break, walk up the High Street to the church for a Commemoration service. It occupied... 1894 During her time at the school, following the change from a grammar to comprehensive she introduced a much broader curriculum.

Fallout Shelter Legendary Dwellers Achievement, What Is Yuzu, Villagio Marzano Tomatoes, Guitar Neck Straightening Jig, Hp Chromebook 11 G8 Ee, Psychological Science Impact Factor, Dell E6430 I5, Aahar Udupi Restaurant Menu, Ammoon Ukulele Electric,